James Cook University (JCU) is a university that is public situated in North Queensland, Australia. The second-oldest university in Queensland providing undergraduate and postgraduate short-term, online and pathway programs, JCU is an institution of research and teaching. The main campuses of JCU are situated in the tropical cities in Cairns and Townsville as well as one in the city-state of Singapore. JCU offers study centers situated in Mount Isa, Mackay, Thursday Island and Rockhampton. The Brisbane campus, which is run through Russo Higher Education, delivers undergraduate and postgraduate programs for domestic and international students. The major areas of study are biology, environmental sciences, mathematics agriculture and veterinary sciences, technology , and health and medical sciences.
James Cook University Rankings
James Cook University is one of the most prestigious Universities for higher study in Australia recognized for its studies on issues that the tropics face. Ratings for James Cook University published by independent organizations are as follows: --
- The University was ranked 424th in the QS World University Rankings, placed between 51 and 100 of the QS World University Ranking by Subject. It also placed 43rd among the top 50 under 50.
- The university was placed between 201-250th on the World University Ranking published by Times Higher Education(THE)
- Ranked 91st in THE Impact Rankings 2021 and 29th in Young University Ranking 2020
- According to Center for World Universities Rankings 2021(CWUR), James Cook University was ranked 472nd and 444 research performance ranking.
- James Cook University ranked 287 among the top global universities reported in US News 2021
- According to Rankings released in US News 2021, JC University was ranked 21st among the top universities around the world that are located in Australia as well as New Zealand and 19 in just Australia
The College of Arts, Society, and Education provides the Bachelor of Educational Studies and Master of Science in Education degrees in various specializations, including Master of Arts and Master of Arts as well as the bachelor of social Work as well as a Master in Social Work. Each sub-department has programs for diplomas and pathways. For instance, the College of Business Law and Governance offers an undergraduate degree, a Master of Laws, Bachelor of Science in Law, as well as numerous MBA programs as well as diploma courses. The Business sub-department offers bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Commerce and an MBA in various specializations.
The College of Healthcare Sciences offers a range of courses in midwifery and nursing OTC, physiotherapy speech pathology, psychology as well as sports and exercise sciences. The degree programs offered in this field are the Bachelor of Speech Pathology, Master of Rehabilitation and Rehabilitation Science, the Bachelor of Nursing Sciences Master of Nursing, Masters of Public Health as well as the Bachelor of Physiotherapy. The College of Medicine and Dentistry provides the Bachelor of Health Science, Bachelor of Medicine as well as Masters of Health Professional Education under the Medicine sub-category. The department of dentistry offers the Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Graduate Diploma of Orthodontics, and many more. It also houses the pharmacy department, which offers the Bachelor of Pharmacy and Master of Pharmaceutical Public Health, among others.
The College of Science and Engineering offers seven specialisations, which are undergraduate, graduate and diploma programs are available. Students may take classes in Engineering as well as environmental Management, Geoscience, Information Technology, Marine Biology and Aquaculture as well as the Physical Sciences and Zoology and Ecology.
James Cook University operates three major campuses. They are located in the tropical towns in Cairns as well as Townsville in Australia as well as the city that is international in Singapore. JCU's Brisbane campus provides classes for students from both countries and international. The university also runs study centers that are located at Mackay, Mount Isa, Thursday Island and Rockhampton. These centres offer programs and assistance to students who live in remote and rural areas.
- JCU Cairns, Nguma-bada Campus, Smithfield
The JCU's Cairns, Nguma-bada campus is located 15 km from the Cairns Central Business District located in an area called Smithfield. JCU relocated to the location from its former inner-city location in 1995. There are 3,000 students studying at JCU Cairns, Nguma-bada campus, Smithfield, including 335 international students. The campus is home to is JCU Cairns, the Australian Tropical Herbarium (ATH), JCU Dental and The Cairns Institute
- JCU Townsville, BebeguYumba Campus, Douglas
The JCU's Townsville, BebeguYumba campus is the largest campus at JCU and is situated on 386 acres in Douglas's suburb Douglas located near the military base and the Lee that runs through Mount Stuart. The campus was originally situated in the Pimlico area of the suburb and then moved to its present site in the year 1967. More than 10,000 students attend JCU Townsville, BebeguYumba campus, with over 1,300 international students. Nearby to the campus is townsville hospital. Townsville Hospital.
- Singapore International Campus
James Cook University's Singapore campus (JCUS) was established in 2003. In January of 2015, James Cook University Singapore relocated to a brand new campus located at Sims Drive, 149 Sims Drive, ceasing operations at its former campus at Upper Thomson Road, where it was in operation since the summer of 2008. In 2020, there were 3644 students enrolled at JCU Singapore. The courses offered include business, education as well as information technology as well as psychology, environmental sciences and tourism and hospitality to students from both countries.
- Brisbane, Mackay, Mount Isa, Thursday Island, Rockhampton
JCU Brisbane, operated by Russo Higher Education, delivers undergraduate and postgraduate classes in business, accounting education, hospitality, the fields of tourism, information and technology for international as well as domestic students.
JCU's Mackay Education and Research Centre (MERC) is a research centre that is located at Mackay Base Hospital. Mackay Base Hospital. It provides students the degree of Bachelor of Nursing Science (Pre-Registration) and also provides dental and medical placements.
The JCU's Mount Isa, Murtupuni campus provides training, development , and support for rural and remote health workers and the management of major health concerns in remote and rural settings. The campus provides an Bachelor in Nursing Science with an emphasis on remote, rural and Indigenous health healthcare.
James Cook University Placements
JCU's Career and Employment Services assist students with career planning and offers a range of opportunities for employment, including MBA positions within Australia.
- Students can look into full-time and part-time work opportunities as well as internships with CareerHub. The site also offers information on future career workshops, events and companies.
- Students are able to earn work experience and improve their skills for employment through volunteer programs. Volunteering is a great way to increase the chances for a student to be employed during on-campus recruitment.They can volunteer in the campus environment or even abroad.
- Students are also encouraged to consider applying for an internship during the second semester of their studies. Internships can be found on different sites for internships. If they are eligible, they need to have the Australian Work Visa.