It is the University of Liege is the all-encompassing public university in the Wallonie-Brussels Federation. It has a rich history of academic and teaching excellence as well as an intellectual heritage that has helped put Liegeon maps since the middle of the Ages.ULiege is among the top schools in Belgium. Since its beginning in 1817 the university has established an alliance with the economic, scientific and cultural growth of the country.
The University was established around 1817, in 1817 by William I of the Netherlands who was then King of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Minister of Education Anton ReinhardFalck. The institution's foundation is the product of an extensive intellectual tradition that dates to the time from the prince-bishopric of Liege. In the 11th century it was the principality's influence that prince attracted scholars and famous scientists and philosophers, including Petrarch to study in the library of the university. The popularity of its medieval institutions gave the city the status of the new Athens.
ULiege is a university that combines basic research and applied research to encourage collaboration and interaction between scientists.
- In terms of research in research, The University of Liege offers numerous options to:
- businesses or organizations of all kinds, from both the private and public sectors, that want to collaborate or subcontract specific research tasks;
- Second-cycle students who want to receive training in research and earn the degree of PhD;
- postdoctoral researchers seeking to broaden their work as part of one of our well-known research teams;
- Experienced researchers looking for an academic job that combines teaching with top-quality research.
It is the University of Liege counts:
- 24,522 students
- 4,600 foreign students
- 4,300 employees
- 2.800 faculty members (both research and teaching)
- 1300 administrative and technical support staff
ULiege comprises 11 faculties:
- Faculty of Philosophy and Letters
- Faculty of Law, Political Science and Criminology
- The Jean Constant Graduate School of Criminology
- Faculty of Social Science
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Applied Science
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech - Faculty of Agronomical Science and Bioengineering
- Faculty of Psychology, Logopedics and Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Architecture
- HEC Liege Management School
In the past, the main ULiege campus was the Sart-Tilman hill, which is a huge planned community college that lies about 10 km to the south of the city centre of Liege. The university has maintained its headquarters as well as several administrative buildings located in the city's center in addition to its Faculty of Philosophy and Letters and which includes the Institutes of Zoology, Anatomy and as well as the HEC Liege Management School, as well as the newly created Faculty of Architecture.
The Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech campus as well as faculties are in Gembloux, Namur Province, and Faculty of Science Department of Environmental Science and Management is located in Arlon, Luxembourg Province.
The university also has an experimental research laboratory located in the Belgian High Fens since 1924 as well as it also owns the STARESO oceanography station located in Calvi, Corsica, France meteorological station, and the Sphinx Observatory in the Jungfraujoch, Switzerland, since 1950, as well as research observatories and stations within Chile (SPECULOOS as well as TRAPPIST-South), Morocco and Tenerife, Spain (TRAPPIST-North).
As one of the top companies of the Liege region, ULiege generates from its various sites more than five thousand direct jobs. This is comprised of 3,300 researchers and teachers and around 1 700 administrative, managerial and technical personnel. The diverse range of occupations meet the requirements of ULiege as and the demands of a continuously evolving society and technological.