The University of Pennsylvania (also known as Penn or UPenn) is a private Ivy League research university located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The university, founded in 1740 as the College of Philadelphia, is one of nine colonial colleges chartered prior to the United States Declaration of Independence. Penn's founder and first president, Benjamin Franklin, advocated for an educational programme that trained leaders in commerce, government, and public service, similar to a modern liberal arts curriculum with a practical focus.
University of Pennsylvania Rankings
|Ranked By||Rank in the world||Rank in the USA||Year|
|QS World University Rankings||13||10||2022|
|World University Rankings||13||11||2022|
|US News and World Report||14||8||2022|
|Academic Ranking of World Universities||15||--||2021|
University of Pennsylvania Research, Innovations and Discoveries
Penn is one of the nation's top research universities, with more than $1.02 billion in annual R&D expenditures, not only generating important new knowledge in the fields of medicine, technology, business, science, and beyond, but also applying this knowledge to improve the lives of individuals and communities at home and around the world.
University of Pennsylvania Programs
With overseas students accounting for 13% of the total student body, the university focuses on the top students. Here is a list of some of the university's top programmes:
|Programs||Fees per Annum (in USD)|
|B.Sc Computer Science||$53,166|
|MS Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering||$56,786|
|B.Sc Systems Science and Engineering||$53,166|
|M.Sc Computer and Information Science||$56,787|
|M.S Electrical Engineering||$56,786|
|M.Sc Chemical Sciences||$56,786|
University of Pennsylvania Campus
- The University of Pennsylvania's city campus in Philadelphia owns and manages 189 research centres and institutes.
- More than 300 Penn-volunteer and community service agendas are followed by approximately 14,000 university students, faculty members, and staff.
- UPenn has 12 undergraduate college houses as well as Sansom Place, a graduate residential complex.
- The first student union in the United States was also founded at UPenn.
- The university organises intercollegiate competitions in 17 sports for men and 16 sports for women. Every year, more than 60 academically based community service courses are taught on campus.
University of Pennsylvania Accommodation
- The university provides housing for approximately 5,500 undergraduate students.
- In addition, 500 graduate students have access to on-campus housing.
- There are housing options for LGBT students at UPenn.
- The average cost of staying in university-provided student housing in the United States is approximately 11,000-13,000 USD (8.1-9.6 Lakh INR).
- The College Houses provide various room types, communities, and facilities based on the needs of the students.
- Information centres, 24 hour security, rooms with bedrooms, electronic locks to the buildings, free laundry, free wifi, free cable tv, mail and package rooms are among the operational amenities available. Students can live off-campus at their leisure while attending university.
- For qualified undergraduate and graduate students, the University provides information on off-campus residencies.
University of Pennsylvania Fee Structure
To some extent, personal expenses are determined by the students; however, the programme type, accessories required, housing, and dining facility also play an important role in determining the costs of studying at Upenn. The following is a breakdown of the estimated budget for international university students studying in the United States:
|Course Type||Expenses for On-Campus Undergraduate (INR)||Expenses for Graduate (in USD)|
|Tuition||40 lakhs||32.8 lakhs|
|Fees||5.2 lakhs||14.4 lakhs|
|Housing||8.5 lakhs||9.6 lakhs|
|Dining||4.4 lakhs||4.8 lakhs|
|Books and Supplies||1 lakh||1.3 lakhs|
|Transportation||69 thousand||98 thousand|
|Personal Expenses||1.5 lakhs||2 lakhs|
|Total||62.4 lakhs||66 lakhs|
University of Pennsylvania Scholarships
Since 2004, UPenn has awarded scholarships totaling $2 billion USD to over 22,000 students as part of undergraduate aid.
|Dean’s Scholarship||The applicant should be incoming masters student, the applicant should not be a working professional, the candidate should not pursue a doctoprogram
|The Foreign Fulbright Student Program||All masters students receiving Fulbright Fellowship offers can apply for the program||15,000 USD|
|International Student Financial Aid||The student needs to apply for the scholarship while taking admission, international students cannot apply after admission||100% need will be fulfilled through grants and work-study programs|
University of Pennsylvania Work Study Programs
- UPenn's work-study programmes are specifically designed for students who are ineligible for federal funds in the United States.
- This category includes a large number of international students. There are various work-study programmes, each with a different skill set required to take on responsibilities and a different weekly payscale.
- The students must attend the interview and be assigned to a work-study programme. If the student is chosen after the interview, they can check and review the job listings posted by the Office of Students Employment.
- Candidates are paid for each hour worked based on a timesheet completed by the student and their supervisor.
- Even if the student prefers not to work while studying, he or she has the opportunity to convert all of the available portions of the work-study programme to a loan. The student should speak with their financial aid counsellor about this. UPenn maintains a dollar limit that a student cannot earn in an academic year.
- In addition, students are permitted to work 20 hours per week when classes are in session and 40 hours per week when classes are not in session.
University of Pennsylvania Placements
- UPenn provides some of the best career opportunities in the United States after graduation. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, AB InBev, Goldman Sachs, Blackstone, JP Morgan, McKinsey, Kraft Foods, and Time Inc. are among the top employers for UPenn graduates.
- As a starting salary, UPenn graduates earn around $85,000 USD. Graduates of the university's MBA programme in the United States have received job offers, with 91.6 percent accepting and the rest opting for startup programmes. MBA graduates earn an average annual salary of 183,000 USD.
Consulting, financial services, technology, real estate, media/entertainment, and many other industries have recently hired university graduates. Students can apply for jobs both through the university's career services programme and directly. The following are some of the most common professions pursued by UPenn graduates, along with their average annual salaries:
|Profession||Average Annual Salary in USD|
|Executive Management and Change||200,000|
|Consulting, Accounting and Professional Services||150,000|
|Finance Control and Strategy||141,000|
|Marketing, Product and Communications||145,000|