10
Sat
 Federal University of Pernambuco

Federal University of Pernambuco

Federal University of Pernambuco Federal University of Pernambuco(Portuguese: Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, UFPE) is an official university located located in Recife, Brazil, established in 1946. UFPE has undergraduate courses of 70 and 175 postgraduate classes. In 2007 UFPE was home to 35,000 students as well as 2500 professors. The school is home to three campus: Recife, Vitoria de Santo Antao and Caruaru. The principal campus, Campus Reitor Joaquim Amazonas is located in the west of Recife within Recife's Cidade Universitaria neighborhood. Its law school, the Recife Law School, established in 1827, is situated in the downtown area of.

UFPE is among the most prestigious Brazilian universities, achieving ninth among Brazilian universities in terms of size and production of scientific research as well as seventh among Federal public Universities. The UFPE's Center for Exact and Natural Sciences is consistently among the top in terms of research output at the university.

UFPE was twice voted the top institution of Northern as well as Northeastern Brazil by Guia do Estudante and Banco Real (ABN AMRO).

Each year , over 6000 seats are provided in the vestibular. The median and mean competition rate is around 10 candidates for each seat.

History

Olinda Law School can be thought of as the precursor to UFPE. It was established in the year 1207 by Pedro I and is, alongside it, the University of Sao Paulo Law School which was established that same day. It is the first first law school in Brazil. Then, it was transferred to Recife. In 1895, the School of Engineering of Pernambuco was also established. The two faculties/free schools and the Medicine faculties (1927), Philosophy currently is known as Faculdade Frassinetti Do Recife Faculdade Frassinetti do Recife FAFIRE (1941) along with Belas Artes (1932), were the foundation courses for the formation of UFPE.

On August 11, 1946 on the 11th of August 1946, the University of Recife was created as one of the first universities located in Brazil's North as well as the Northeast in Brazil.

In 1948, construction of the campus of the university was started. Discussions over the site of construction began one year prior to that. In the cogitated areas were the terrains of the neighborhoods in Joana Bezerra, Santo Amaro and Ibura and the area of the Faculty of Law located in the center of Recife and also of land in Varzea which is the exact spot that was the Engenho do Meio functioned before and in which the university is located in the present. This decision was made as a the context of a plan to create an avenue within the area. The climate and topography of the land were taken into consideration.

The funds used in the acquisition and establishment of the campus of the University were a result by the state's administration, which contributed 0,10% of the sale tax and consignments forto the project's development. The first building that were constructed on the campus was the vivarium, an area dedicated to livestock farming. It was located in the same area where is where the Department of Nutrition and the Center of Health Sciences are in. The concept for the campus' architectural design was created through a Venetian architect called Mario Russo.

In 1965 in 1965, it was announced that the University of Recife became the Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE) and was a governing body that was linked to MEC.

Campus of Caruaru

Headquartered at in the academic Center located in Agreste which during its initial years was as a temporary part of Caruaru's Commercial Polo of Caruaru, houses classrooms, a library and an informatics lab as well as the coordination of courses.

In 2009 The Academic Center of Agreste was able to have all its activities moved to the ultimate campus.

Courses

The Academic Center of Agreste provides 10 courses.

  • Business Administration and Management
  • Economic Sciences
  • Design
  • Social Communication
  • Civil Engineering
  • Production Engineering
  • Physics (licentiate)
  • Medicine
  • Chemistry (licentiate)
  • Pedagogy

Campus of Vitoria

The Academic Center of Vitoria located at Vitoria de Santo Antao operates in facilities which were donated by Town Hall, an old structure dating from 1927 that included a hospital as well as an agricultural school. The school is split into three blocks that include an administrative block (Tabocas) along with two other blocks specifically devoted for education (Pirituba as well as Bela Vista).

Courses

  • Biological Sciences (licentiate)
  • PE (licentiate as well as bachelor's degrees)
  • Nursing
  • Nutrition
  • Collective Health

Frequently asked questions

Share: