Stanford University, officially Leland Stanford Junior University is a private research institution located in Stanford, California. The campus is spread across 8,180 acres (3,310 acres) which is among the most expansive in UnitedStates, and enrolls more than 17,000 students. Stanford is considered to be one of the top colleges across the world. Stanford was established on the 18th of October, 1885. It was founded in 1885 by Leland Stanford and Jane Stanford in memory of their sole child, Leland Stanford Jr. who had passed away from typhoid disease at the age of 15 in the prior year.Leland Stanford was a U.S. senator and governor in the past of California who earned his fortune as railroad businessman. The school was first admitted to students on October 1st, 1891, and was an independent, non-denominational school. Stanford University struggled financially after the death of Leland Stanford in 1893, and in the aftermath of the campus was damaged in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Following World War II, the provost Frederick Terman supported faculty and students' entrepreneurial spirit to create an industry that was self-sufficient in the area that was later referred to as Silicon Valley. The school is comprised of seven schools. There are three schools that comprise 40 departments of academics for undergraduate students, as in four schools of professional studies that concentrate specifically on master's programs within medicine, law education, business, and other fields. All schools are located on an identical campus. Students play 36 varsity sports and Stanford is one of the two private institutions that are part of the Division I FBS Pac-12 Conference. Stanford has been awarded 128 NCAA team championships, more than any other college and was recognized with the NACDA Directors"Cup" for 25 consecutive years starting in 1994-1995. Furthermore that by 2021 Stanford alumni and students had won at the very least 296 Olympic medals, including 150 gold medals.
Stanford University Rankings 2022
- #2 among the US universities, 2022 by QS World University Rankings.
- #2 in Graduate Employability Ranking 2022, by QS Global World Rankings.
- #3 in QS Global World University Rankings, 2022.
- #2 in US College Rankings, 2022 by Times Higher Education.
- #4 in World University Rankings, 2022 by Times Higher Education.
- #6 in National Universities, 2022 by U.S. News and World Report.
Stanford University Scholarships
The institution offers various types of financial aid to those who are interested in it through grants, scholarships and loans. The institution does offer some scholarships for students from outside the USA. So, international students who require assistance should indicate this when they apply for admission. Around 5,000 students get some type of financial aid, both internally as well as from outside Stanford University. Around 66 percent of students receive financial aid in order to lower the overall cost of their education. Moreover, 47% of students receive need-based scholarships and grants, with barely 18% of students finishing with debt. In order to be eligible for scholarship funding international students must have or have or both an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or an Social Security number (SSN). International students aren't qualified for loans for students or federal assistance through U.S. government agencies. However, they are eligible for assistantships and fellowships, which could have limitations on work.
Stanford University Campus
Stanford University campus is located in the center of the San Francisco Peninsula.
Stanford University campus is structured with 700 buildings, 150 companies located in the 700-acre Stanford Research Park, 140 retail stores in the Stanford Shopping Center, and more.
The campus features 49 miles of roads, three dams, and over 43,000 trees, and 800 different species of plants.
Some of the campus traditions include its Battle of Bay (football game), Cardinal Nights, The Wacky Walk, and Fountain Hopping.
There are more than 13,000 bikes, 67 buses, and 41 electric buses in a 23-route system on campus for commuters.
The university campus is one of the largest single-campus colleges in the United States housing seven schools and 18 research institutes.
Stanford University Services
All new students are welcome to the Career Development Center! You can connect with us at the new student orientation. We are glad to have you as a student at Stanford's Career Development Center! There are five ways you can connect with us during our new student orientation. We are looking forward to connecting with all of you soon and often.
Nearly 62 percent of eligible graduate students live in university-provided housing for singles, couples, and families with children. When they submit their spring deadline, new graduate students will be guaranteed housing for their first year. The undergraduate housing system has 80 facilities. A quarter of all students are members of one of the 16 fraternities and 14 sororities on campus. There are seven fraternities and three sororities that offer to house.
- Green is Stanford University's main research library, and has collections in the humanities, social sciences, area studies, and interdisciplinary areas.
- Cecil H. Green Library
- Lathrop Library
- Archive of Recorded Sound
- Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
- Biology Library (Falconer)
- Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Library (Swain)
- Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections (Branner)
- East Asia Library
Stanford Medicine provides exceptional care to each patient. For the best outcomes, our multidisciplinary approach to healthcare combines deep expertise with the most cutting-edge technology.
Stanford University Student Life
Stanford University is situated on 8.180 acres in central San Francisco. Stanford land includes 49 miles of roads, two distinct water systems, three dams and three open water reservoirs. There are also 88 miles worth of water mains and an office. The university's Central Energy Facility uses heat recovery and thermal storage in order to maximize the efficiency of its heating and cooling systems. Stanford contracts or provides its own firefighting, police, and other services. The first phase of Stanford's 35-acre Redwood City campus, which will eventually house approximately 2,700 Stanford employees, will be opened in 2019. It is just a mile away from downtown Redwood City, and five miles from Stanford’s main campus.
Arrillaga Center for Sports & Recreation
- Women's Squash
- Men's & Women's Fencing
- Facility for students, faculty & staff
Arrillaga Family Sports CenterArrillaga Outdoor Education & Recreation Center
Avery Aquatic Center
- Men's & Women's Swimming and Diving
- Men's & Women's Water Polo
- Synchronized Swimming
Burnham Pavilion & Ford Center
- Men's and Women's Gymnastics
- Some Men's Volleyball
In general, the 650+ clubs and organizations at Stanford span the following areas:
- Community Service
- Music/Dance/Creative Arts
- Political/Social Awareness
Stanford University Career
- With seven schools and numerous other academic and administrative areas, Stanford offers a wealth of rewarding career opportunities.
- Stanford believes that each individual's career should be tailored to their strengths and aspirations. Personal growth is encouraged and supported at Stanford so that all can have a healthy work-life balance. There are many resources and programs available at Stanford to assist employees in their career advancement. We encourage you to make the most of everything Stanford has to offer, from career counseling to tuition and assistance with training.
Stanford University Research
- From Nobel Prize winners to undergraduates, all members of the Stanford community are engaged in creating new knowledge.
- Stanford’s culture of collaboration drives innovative discoveries in areas vital to our world, our health and our intellectual life.
- Eighteen independent labs, centers and institutes engage faculty and students from across the university.
- At the intersection of disciplines is where new ideas emerge and innovative research happens.
- Academic departments sponsor numerous other research centers and labs.
Stanford University Education
Stanford University is a world-renowned research university. It is well-known for its entrepreneurial spirit, a result of the connections it has with Silicon Valley. The humanities, social sciences, engineering, and sciences are all areas of excellence. Stanford is situated in California's Bay Area. It is one of the most intellectually active and culturally diverse regions of the country.
Stanford University Placements
Stanford University offers a variety of career support for students. To help recent graduates make a career leap, the university hosts recruitment events by companies and agencies. Bachelor's degree is the most highly paid at the university, with an average salary of 249,000 USD. Below are the highest-paid professions for Stanford graduates, as well as their average annual salaries:
Average Annual Salary in USD
Executive Management and Change
Finance Control and Strategy
Consulting, Accounting and Professional Services
Program and Project Management
IT and Software Development